Monday, March 2, 2009

Dance, dance, dance

Saturday was the first dance competition for Riley and the studio where she and Kamryn take lessons. Luckily, it was in Orlando and not very far away. This is the second year Riley has been fortunate enough to be on their competition team. The comp was only one day, but that meant it was a long day (think 9am-8pm). The studio really tries to emphasize the team so we are there to support everyone that is dancing from our studio. Riley (and Kamryn) really enjoy this because they love to watch the older kids and their friends dance. The studio did really well and the kids had a lot of fun. My mom came down to watch and help with Kamryn. Of course, she found out she had broken her foot right before she was leaving so the big boot made it a little difficult to get around. She found a seat and pretty much just stayed there all day. While Kamryn didn't always sit with her, she would check in with her Mimi every now and then. There was a moment I had to be in back to help out with some of the big kids and another mom graciously kept an eye on my two kids. We are lucky to dance where we do and that everyone is so nice and looks out for each other. Because I was backstage for a little bit either helping get Riley and her group ready or helping get someone else ready, I missed some of my favorite numbers. I really like all of the numbers we have at competition and watching the kids (some of them would probably be offended I was using that term for them) from the studio dance. The older girls are good role models for Riley and Kamryn. We have two more regional competitions this spring and then we should head to nationals in the summer. While we can't take pictures of them dancing, I will try and remember to take my camera and get some good pics of the group just hanging out.
While we were there, Kamryn asked me when she would get to dance. Since we were at the smae venue where their dance recital will be held, I told her that she would be dancing there in June. She asked me the question again and again I explained that she would be dancing in the recital in June. She then replied, "I know mom, but when do I get to dance up there for competition." What can you say to that? I just said when she got bigger.

No comments: