Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Valentine Dance...in Elemenatary school?

That was my thought when I got a note from Riley's school advertising the dance. I couldn't believe they would have a dance for kids that young, but they did. The school divided up the kids into two groups - K4 through 2nd grade and then 3rd through 5th grade. I was skeptical of the whole dance thing but Riley really wanted to go. So, after explaining to her that we don't go to dances until we're 14, I told her that we could go as a family (parents were required to be present with their kids) and try it out. Plus, I knew one other family from church was doing the same thing so I their would be kids that Kamryn knew too. The advertisement told us to dress our "Beary Best" (the school mascot is a bear). So, after we all got dressed up in church dresses, we headed for the dance. I'm not even sure you could call it a dance. It was more like controlled chaos. Picture tons of kids running and jumping around to music and then forming a train and going all around the room. It was quite a site! The girls had fun though. Riley didn't dance as much as I would have thought, but she did have fun. Kamryn tried to dance with several groups of kids, but was mostly ignored (they didn't know her) until her friend from church showed up. I would go again, but 2nd grade would be the last time I would let her attend a function like that since I noticed the older group looked a little more serious about it.

Riley and her friend Stephanie dancing

Kamryn dancing and having fun!

That infamous train

Kamryn and her friend Tenille dancing and smiling for the camera

Riley, AJ, and Sarah (friends from class)

No comments: