Sunday, June 7, 2009

Kamryn the fish

As summer is fast approaching here in FL (already here if going by temps), the girls are getting ready for swim lessons. Kamryn will take 2 sets of lessons and Riley one set. Kamryn's first set were in May and were twice a week for four weeks. Somehow, we managed to avoid most of the rain and only got rained out once. Of course, that was the last lesson and the make up day even got rained out. So, a full week later they finally had their last lesson and took their "test". I wish I had some pics to post, but alas, I was a bad mom. I'll do better next time. The American Red Cross changed their lesson criteria this year so I wasn't sure how it would work for Kamryn. She did great!! She passed "Pre-school Level 3" which is the highest they have for that age group (3 &4). I have no idea what that means for her summer lessons, but I'm anxious to find out. She can swim the whole way across the pool (25 meters) as long as she flips on her back to rest and breathe. She does breathe by lifting her head up, but then she starts laughing which makes her swallow water sometimes. I think it might take a bit to learn to breathe to the side, but I'm impressed with what she can do. She is definitely further along than Riley was at this age. Of course, if she's in water where she can touch, she just puts her feet down as she breathes. They both have lessons starting soon (June) and will go for four days a week for two weeks. then, the rest of the summer will just be for play and for me to push them to continue to get better. I guess I really better pay attention during their lessons so I know what to work on with them.

No comments: